Tier IV Inc. (Address: Nagoya University Open Innovation Center, 1-3, Mei-eki 1-CHOME, Nakamura-Ward, Nagoya-City, Aichi Prefecture Japan, the "Company") believes it is an important social responsibility to appropriately handle and protect users' personal information collected in the development of software and platform and other business activities incidental thereto. The Company will strive to properly handle and protect any personal information it collects in accordance with this policy on the protection of personal information (the "Policy").
1. Definition of Personal Information and Personal Data
Personal Information means information about a living individual that falls under any of the following:
(a) Information that can identify a specific individual by name, date of birth, telephone number, e-mail address or any other similar information;
(b) Information which, although cannot identify a specific individual on its own, can be readily collated with other information and thereby identify a specific individual;
(c) Information containing an individual identification code (as defined in Article 2, Paragraph (2) of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (the "Personal Information Protection Act")).
Personal Data means Personal Information that constitutes a personal information database, etc. (Article 2, Paragraph (4) of the Personal Information Protection Act).
2. Collection and Purposes of Use of Personal Information
1. The Company will collect and use Personal Information through lawful and appropriate means within the scope necessary to achieve the following purposes:
(a) To provide various services;
(b) To verify the user's identity associated with the services provided by the Company;
(c) For after-sales services, and responding to inquiries and complaints incidental to (a) or (b) above;
(d) To provide Personal Information or Personal Data to third parties in order to achieve the purposes of use above.
2. When it becomes necessary to use the user's Personal Information for any purpose other than those in the preceding paragraph, the Company will inform the user of the purpose and obtain consent in advance before such use, except in any of the following cases:
(a) When there is a need to protect a human life, body or property and it is difficult to obtain the user's consent;
(b) When there is a special need to enhance public hygiene or promote the fostering of healthy children, and it is difficult to obtain the user's consent;
(c) When there is a need to cooperate with a central government organization or a local government, or a person entrusted by them performing affairs prescribed by the appicable laws and regulations, and there is a possibility that obtaining the user's consent would interfere with the performance of the said affairs;
(d) When so required under the applicable laws and regulations.
3. The Company will not collect special care-required personal information (as defined in Article 2, Paragraph (3) of the Personal Information Protection Act) without obtaining prior consent of the user, except in cases set forth in each item of Article 17, Paragraph (2) of the Personal Information Protection Act.
3. Third Party Provision
The Company may disclose the user's Personal Data to contractors of the Company or to other third parties (excluding third parties in foreign countries; the same shall apply hereinafter in this paragraph), in the following cases:
(a) When the consent of the user is obtained;
(b) When courts, public prosecutors, police,tax offices, bar associations, or any organizations vested with similar authority demand that Personal Information be disclosed;
(c) When such disclosure is made to financial institutions, credit card companies, settlement agents and/or other entities that conduct settlements or act as settlement agents, for the settlement of fees and other monies payable to the Company;
(d) When such disclosure is made to a successor of a business when the business is succeeded due to a merger, business transfer or other similar event;
(e) When it is permitted by the Personal Information Protection Act or any other laws or regulations;
(f) Other cases specified individually in each service of the Company.
2. Even in the case where none of the circumstances in the preceding paragraph applies, the Company may provide the user's Personal Data (excluding special care-required personal information; the same shall apply hereinafter in this paragraph) to third parties (excluding third parties in foreign countries; the same shall apply hereinafter in this paragraph) after giving a notification to the Personal Information Protection Commission within the following scope:
(a) Items of Personal Data to be provided to third parties pursuant to this paragraph All of the user's Personal Information unless the user specifically requests otherwise
(b) Method of provision to third parties pursuant to this paragraph Paper, transmission of electronic data, delivery in the form of external recording media, or access to the server
(c) Method of requesting suspension of provision pursuant to this paragraph
3. In any of the following cases, the Company may provide the user's Personal Data to third parties in foreign countries:
(a) When the user has given prior consent for the Data to be used by third parties in foreign countries;
(b) When Personal Data is provided to a third party in a foreign country that takes measures in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 4, Section 1 of the Personal Information Protection Act with respect to the handling of Personal Data in an appropriate and reasonable manner and whose implementation of such measures is secured in relation to the Company;
(c) When the identification of an individual user is disabled;
(d) When any of the circumstances of 2. (2) (a) through (d) above applies.
Special clauses for shooting image data on public roads.
1. Overview of the Project
As part of the Project, the Company shall install cameras on the outside surface or the top of road transport vehicles (as defined in Article 2, Paragraph 1 of the Road Transport Vehicles Act) managed by the Company or a third party in cooperation with the Company, photograph the public roads while they are in motion, and acquire and analyze the image data of the public roads ("Public Road Image Data"). Although the purpose of this project is not to obtain information that identifies individuals or personal privacy information about the individuals photographed in the Public Road Image Data, there is a possibility that the Public Road Image Data may contain information that identifies individuals on the public road, such as the appearance of an individual or the exterior and nameplate of a residence, etc.